Castle of Vidigueira

The Castle of Vidígueira, also referred to as the Palace of the ranges, in Alentejo, is located in the village, parish and Vidigueira municipality, Beja district of Portugal.

Member of the Guadiana line in the thirteenth century, the castle, which remain in the ruins of the keep, have been adapted to house the Counts of Vidigueira.

At the time of the Christian Reconquest of the Iberian peninsula, the town was conquered by the Portuguese forces, under the reign of Sancho II (1223-1248) in 1235. However, the first documented reference on Vidigueira date 1255, at which time , and founded the Monastery of St. Cucufate, their parish was established and set its limits, making up this scripture mention of this village.

Comments are closed.

Free eCards, Free ePoscards